[chef] Fwd: remote execution sql_server cookbook - big fail

  • From: Olaf Heydorn < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Fwd: remote execution sql_server cookbook - big fail
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:37:02 +0200

Hi Razvan,

sorry for my late answer.
Remote execution and installation of microsoft sql server 2008 on windows 2008 isn't working. Nether via knife ssh nor via knife winrm.
The installer is doing ui calls during the silent installation, but there isn't any ui at all. That's why it's not working via knife ssh. Knife winrm has
another error. There is a new path for the security store on windows 2008 and winrm has no full user profile during the run:

Microsoft's own remoting framework (WinRM) is not able to do a silent install of
SQL Server 2008. The installation fails with security errors,which only appear
on remote installations (WinRM and SSH), local installations with a proper environment
(local login / RDP) are working OK. Other remote management frameworks are failing,
too.

Likely root cause:

The SQL server installer was designed for server 2003 fs layout (c:\Documents and Settings (2003) and not c:\Users (2008) ),
when running under a full login microsoft provides a mapping from the old style directories to the new style.
When logged in remotely those mappings are not in place.

If you have any other solution please send me any information.

Regards,

Olaf