[chef] node name not being used for cookbook_file file specificity with chef-solo.

  • From: William McVey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] node name not being used for cookbook_file file specificity with chef-solo.
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:34:22 -0400

'm working on managing some hosts on a remote network using chef-solo. In a cookbook recipe, I'm trying to push out a host-specific configuration file using file specificity and was surprised that a cookbook_file resource wasn't getting the nodename specific file location.

The traceback from the cookbook file:
:2222] out: cookbook_file[redacted_path/intelfilter] (redacted_cookbook) had an error: Chef::Exceptions::FileNotFound: Cookbook 'redacted_cookbook' (0.0.1) does not contain a file at any of these locations:
:2222] out:   files/ubuntu-10.04/intelfilter
:2222] out:   files/ubuntu/intelfilter
:2222] out:   files/default/intelfilter

ohai for this host (a basic vagrant vm) shows:
  "hostname": "lucid32",
  "fqdn": "lucid32",
  "domain": null,

My files hierarchy for my cookbook has:
   files/lucid32/intelfilter

My node.json has just the run_list:
  {"run_list": ["role[redacted_role]"]}

And my solo.rb has:
log_level            :info
log_location         STDOUT
file_cache_path      "/var/chef-solo"
cookbook_path        [ "/var/chef-solo/cookbooks" ]
role_path            "/var/chef-solo/roles"
Chef::Log::Formatter.show_time = true

I know I could put an explicit node_name declaration in solo.rb; however, the documentation states:

The default value is set automatically to the fully qualified domain name (fqdn) as detected by Ohai.

Since the solo.rb is shared across multiple hosts, and the ohai for this node is correct (or at least, the output is accounted for), why is chef-solo not finding (or apparently even looking for) the node-specific files? It's obviously looked at ohai output, since the files that were searched include the platform of the host, but not the node_name/fqdn.

  -- William