[chef] Re: How to set node attributes when creating ec2 instances?

  • From: John Dyer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: How to set node attributes when creating ec2 instances?
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:59:37 -0400

Eric,

  Funny you mentioned this, I actually JUST sent a pull request for this feature earlier today.  Eric Hankins opened CHEF-3025, which provides means to pass in node data via the --json-attributes parameter when using knife bootstrap.  The node data is added to the first-boot.json file, and run on the first run.  Please note this new feature was merged into Chef 0.10.10.   I needed this feature for our Jenkins deployments, so I forked knife-ec2 and added this feature ( KNIFE_EC2-58 ).  You can find the pull request here if you want to build test it out yourself before it gets merged in.  FWIW its working great for me :)

Hope this helps!

-John