[chef] Re: Re: example using application_java?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: example using application_java?
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:07:45 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Andrea Campi < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Jesse,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Jesse Campbell < "> > wrote:
> Does anyone have an example that uses application_java?
> We are deploying about 15 different war files into tomcat from a maven
> repository (running nexus), there is a DB role that would need rails
> migrations performed.
> There is a simple example for deploying jenkins, but it doesn't get
> into migrations at all..
>
> We're currently deploying tomcat with the tomcat6 cookbook, dropping
> the dependent jar files in with our own custom cookbook as we'd
> originally wanted to avoid the methods that the tomcat and java
> cookbook used for jar distribution.

documentation can/should be improved, but there is something in the
application cookbook.
There is nothing framework-specific to migrations anyway; as many
other feature in the application cookbook, it maps directly to the
deploy resource; its documentation applies.

Except... the Java cookbook does not use deploy at this time; it
didn't in the previous version, and unfortunately it still does not.

It's not very clear to me how migrations would fit in the workflow of
a typical Java shop. In fact I've brainstormed about application_java
with miscellaneous people and we haven't even touched on
migrations--not high-priority enough, I guess.

As for migrations in java flyway and liquibase come into mind:

Don't have a concrete (and chefifyed) example though...

Torben

I'm curious: you mention Rails migrations? Do you also have a Rails
app, or do you use it just for managing migrations?
Could you maybe use application_ruby for that part, and then somehow
orchestrate the deployment interactions?

Andrea