[chef] WARNING for JBoss AS7 users

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] WARNING for JBoss AS7 users
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:46:57 +0200

If you use JBoss AS 7.1.1 along with Chef, you should know that JBoss AS 7 will change the contents of your main XML configuration file on disk by removing comments, adding or removing line breaks, and reordering attributes.

If you have a jboss service resource that subscribes to that config file, it will detect that the file and has changed and restart the service on every chef-client run. I found this out the hard way

There is a pull request in to the jboss folks to resolve this issue, allowing your to specify that the file on disk should not be changed w/ a command-line argument like --initial-xx-config

https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2288

It took me 4 hours to diagnose this issue. what a PITA!

This may also apply to 7.1.0 but I am not sure