[chef] Upgrading to latest version of a gem?

  • From: Martin Forssen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Upgrading to latest version of a gem?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:44:51 +0200

We are running chef-0.10.10 and are encountering a problem with gems. I have looked but can not find a way to write a gem resource so that it is always updated to the latest version if one is available. My first attempt was:

gem_package "foo" do
    action [:install, :upgrade]
end

But this never upgrades foo even if there is a later version on the gemserver. Is it possible to get it to upgrade automatically, or do I have to specify an explicit version as well?

    /MaF