[chef] Re: xml_edit resource, was: WARNING for JBoss AS7 users

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: xml_edit resource, was: WARNING for JBoss AS7 users
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:26:05 +0200

I think both xml_edit and json_edit resources would be extremely useful as there will continue to be applications that parse their configuration files and write them back to disk

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Bryan McLellan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Bryan Berry < "> > wrote:
> If you use JBoss AS 7.1.1 along with Chef, you should know that JBoss AS 7
> will change the contents of your main XML configuration file on disk by
> removing comments, adding or removing line breaks, and reordering
> attributes.

I was thinking about this today in regard to the file_edit resource
discussion on the chef-dev list. I thought I remembered having
problems managing XML configuration files due to similar behavior in
the past.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Walter Heck < "> > wrote:
> I'm from the puppet-world and totally just lurking here (so forgive me
> if I'm blabbering :) ), but for Puppet there is augeas, which is a
> standalone tool that can parse configuration files into machine
> readable trees. This allows you to change/check the value of a
> configuration parameter unrelated to where in the config file it
> actually is. If i'm not mistaking this should solve your problem if
> you can find a way to use it in Chef? http://augeas.net/

It would be interesting to have an xml_edit/json_edit sort of resource
for when we care about the content of the data more than the
formatting. That would do the same thing and would be simple enough.