[chef] How to create a node

  • From: meenakshi agrawal < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How to create a node
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:22:41 +0530

Hi All,

I have a private chef-server (OS:SLES11 SP1)
Am trying to create nodes,the steps which am following are mentioned below:

I don't have a bootstrap script for SLES hence am doing all the steps manually

1)install rubygems,rubygem-chef
2)mkdir -p /etc/chef
3)knife configure client ./
4)copy validation.pem from server to /etc/chef
5)Edit the server_url in client.rb
6)run chef-client(this should register the node)
7)add recipe to the node
8)On running the chef-client again these recipies will run

Issue:

When i do a "knife node list" i get the node name in the result but when i do "knife search node name :'NAME OF THE NODE' "

I don't get this node.

Kindly suggest am i missing some step here?

--
Thanks
Meenakshi Agrawal