[chef] knife rackspace server create - not able to login

  • From: Cooper Simmons < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] knife rackspace server create - not able to login
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:43:49 -0500

Hi Chefs,

I am iterating through a list of hostnames and creating VMs on Rackspace Cloud using:
knife rackspace server create -I 121 --flavor 4 -r 'role[base-yum],role[hdp-base],recipe[annoyances]' --server-name $i --node-name $i -d chef-full -VV

I background each iteration of that so that all the server creates are running in the background.
I usually do this for about 7 nodes.

Seemingly randomly, for one to a few of the nodes, knife will not be able to login over ssh.
Here is what that looks like:

DEBUG: allowed methods: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
DEBUG: trying publickey (b4:cd:b6:b8:56:7c:9e:85:ba:27:b6:fb:72:ac:5a:2a)
DEBUG: queueing packet nr 6 type 50 len 348
DEBUG: sent 372 bytes
DEBUG: read 84 bytes
DEBUG: received packet nr 6 type 51 len 60
DEBUG: allowed methods: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
DEBUG: trying password
DEBUG: queueing packet nr 7 type 50 len 76
DEBUG: sent 100 bytes
DEBUG: read 84 bytes
DEBUG: received packet nr 7 type 51 len 60
DEBUG: allowed methods: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
DEBUG: password failed
ERROR: all authorization methods failed (tried publickey, password)

Then the bootstrap stops for that node, of course.
I can immediately login to that node successfully with root and the password that returns for "knife rackspace server create".
Here is a gist for the complete bootstrap for one of those nodes:  https://gist.github.com/2960222

Here is the output that should occur, from a successful bootstrap:
DEBUG: allowed methods: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
DEBUG: trying password
DEBUG: queueing packet nr 7 type 50 len 76
DEBUG: sent 100 bytes
DEBUG: read 36 bytes
DEBUG: received packet nr 7 type 52 len 12
DEBUG: password succeeded

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong with these?

Thanks!
-Cooper

  • [chef] knife rackspace server create - not able to login, Cooper Simmons, 06/20/2012