[chef] Re: Chef in "Pure Infrastructure-As-Code" Mode?

  • From: Dylan Northrup < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef in "Pure Infrastructure-As-Code" Mode?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 09:48:29 -0400

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Torben Knerr < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Ohai Chefs,

I was just wondering if someone is running Chef in "pure infrastructure-as-code" mode (couldn't find a better term), i.e. all changes to your infrastructure are done via git only, so that you can trace whatever has been done in 'git log'.

I like the 'infrastructure-as-code' idea, but for tracing changes made by chef on a node I would prefer a way to log changes made to the CMDB and by whom.  Without the automated procedures detailed later in this thread, there can be a disconnect between what's in git and what's in chef.  Being able to view logs of cookbook uploads, role changes, knife ssh runs would be tremendous from an operational perspective in tracking down what's changed recently (to which the answer is always "Nothing changed, honest. It just stopped working." ;-)

I want to say I remember mention of increased logging at one of the ChefConf talks I viewed, but cannot be sure.  If this was available, it would be an invaluable operational tool.

--
Dylan