[chef] Re: Re: Re: Cloud Deployments

  • From: John Martinez < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Cloud Deployments
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:37:04 -0700

We also use CloudFormation with Autoscaler for deploying Hosted Chef managed instances in AWS. The biggest issues are:

  • Chef bootstrap, since you can't use any of the knife bootstrap methods to launch instances
  • Dealing with the Chef validation key
  • Dealing with encrypted data bag secrets
We use a combination of EC2 instance metadata (user-data), custom bootstrap scripts and policy-secured S3 buckets to make this all work.

-john