[chef] how come i have an extra client showing up?

  • From: John Wong < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] how come i have an extra client showing up?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:31:21 -0400

Hi guys,

I followed the tutorial very closely: http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Installing+Chef+Server+on+Debian+or+Ubuntu+using+Packages

My server's username is serveradmin. I did knife client list before I setup a knife client on my personal laptop:
chef-validator
chef-webui
serveradmin

I created a knife client called laptop and when I finished, I got this
chef-validator
chef-webui
serveradmin
server1
laptop

where server1 is the name of the chef server. I wonder why I have server1 show up in the client list?
The only node present is server1, that's okay. I guess.

I am confused between server1 and serveradmin in the client list. What exactly do they mean? server1 is the hostname and the name of the server, and serveradmin is the client name (also the username).
Weird. Confusing to me.

Thanks.