[chef] add chef-client cookbook to chef bootstrap

  • From: John Wong < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] add chef-client cookbook to chef bootstrap
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:00:38 -0400

Hi guys,

I seek help from IRC and thanks Cheesepl_ and hoover_damm for helping me tonight.

knife bootstrap 192.168.1.29 -x admin -P password --sudo -VV -r 'role[base]'

I bootstrapped a machine and I turned it off. It didn't talk to the chef-server to check in so I was wondering why.

It turns out that there was no init. This should not be the default behavior if it is. I thank hoover_damm from IRC channel to point out chef-client cookbook.

I think, there should be a base.rb provided, minimally it should adds chef-client cookbook to it, as someone else will turn down one of the nodes down for maintenance and on the server it should know about the update.

Why isn't this the default behaviour through bootstrap?
Actually, forget about the base.rb. Why isn't the init thing part of the chef setup? If a user wants to change it to upstart or whatever, there should be a configuration / manually set it. But not knowing that chef-client will not start automatically seems odd. Also, putting it inside /opt/chef/ is also weird. I use Ubuntu 10.04 btw.

Thanks.

John