[chef] Chef Cookbooks & Versions?

  • From: Gavin Williams < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Chef Cookbooks & Versions?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:05:48 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB

Hi there,

I’m currently evaluating incorporating Chef into our existing environment. I’m a total freshman to Chef, so excuse any ignorant questions J

We run J2EE apps within Glassfish 3, on top of CentOS hosts, with Nagios systems monitoring using NRPE.

I can see existing recipes for Glassfish, Nagios etc. Obviously I’m going to need to write my own Cookbook to cover the configuration required for applications, such as Glassfish resource config, host environment variables etc. The challenge that I can see is that we support multiple versions of our applications in our live env’s, and each could have different glassfish config etc…

How could I support this with Chef?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards
Gavin