[chef] knife diff and JSON files in environments/ & roles/

  • From: Denis Haskin < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] knife diff and JSON files in environments/ & roles/
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:24:22 -0400

When I use knife diff from the knife-essentials[1] gem (which is awesome, by the way), it shows me a lot of JSON files in the environments/ and roles/ folders that don't exist in my local filesystem (e.g. only on the chef server) [2].  But I have corresponding .rb files for each .json file that is indicated as "missing".

This is confusing... either (a) chef creates the .json files when I upload environments or roles to the server, from the .rb files, or (b) these are left over on the server from an old version of chef.

Anybody know which it is?  Is there some way I can fix this?

Thanks!

[2] (portion of output of knife diff --name-status)
D environments/obanyc_testrl.json
D environments/obanyc_prod.json
D environments/obanyc_dev.json
D environments/obanyc_demo.json