[chef] Re: How to write the cookbook for third party ubuntu ppa?

  • From: Kevin Nuckolls < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: How to write the cookbook for third party ubuntu ppa?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:50:00 -0500

I've encountered this problem as well and I'm nearly certain that a background process is running apt-get update by default when you start up the Ubuntu image. My solution was to tell cloud-init not to run apt-get update by default. These 100 errors no longer come up.

Read this. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CloudInit

Set apt_upgrade: false in your user data script.

Hope that helps.

Bryan I bet that command you asked him to run will run because it's a race condition. By the time you log in to the Ubuntu box and run it, the background cloud-init is done and other systems can run apt just fine.

-Kevin

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012, Bryan McLellan wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Sachin Sagar Rai < > wrote:
> FATAL: Chef::Exceptions::Exec: package[ruby] (base::install_ruby line 22)
> had an error: Chef::Exceptions::Exec: apt-get -q -y install ruby=4.8-0bbox1
> returned 100, expected 0

It looks like apt is failing for some reason.

What happens if you run "apt-get -q -y install ruby=4.8-0bbox1"?

Bryan