[chef] Re: Re: Berkshelf: dependency resolution via Berksfile does not seem to work

  • From: Thorsten Fischer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Berkshelf: dependency resolution via Berksfile does not seem to work
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:35:39 +0200

Hi Jamie,

To solve your problem you should specify that the dependency
"berkshelf-test-2" can be found at git:
[...]
example:
cat project/Berksfile
cookbook "berkshelf-test-1", git:
"git://github.com/froschi/berkshelf-test-1.git
<http://github.com/froschi/berkshelf-test-1.git>"
cookbook "berkshelf-test-2", git:
"git://github.com/froschi/berkshelf-test-2.git
<http://github.com/froschi/berkshelf-test-2.git>"

Yes, this is indeed what I found, too. Unfortunately, this kind of defeats the advantage that I hoped to get out of berkshelf; I have a stack of cookbooks that have some rather convoluted, multi-level dependency chains. Typing them all out into the project's Berksfile instead of storing them with the cookbooks and have their dependencies followed recursively is a bit inconvenient.

While this is slightly confusing at first, this is working as intended.

Yep, it works :-)

I have an open branch that I have been working on that will ship with
0.4.0 that allows you to define "default source locations" in your
project's Berksfile. This will allow you to say, "check this list of
chef servers or community servers before saying that you can't find my
cookbook or dependencies".

Sounds good! I would very much prefer storing 3-4 dependency locations with the cookbooks themselves, rather than having to collect them into on central location.

Thanks for your help,