[chef] whyrun + apt_repository provider

  • From: " " < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] whyrun + apt_repository provider
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:51:50 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently testing whyrun on a few cookbooks with Chef 10.14.0.rc.0.

test snippet:

package "htop"

apt_repository "zend" do
  uri "http://zend.repo.snowtrex.cluster/zend-server/deb"
  distribution "server"
  components ["non-free"]
  key "http://zend.repo.snowtrex.cluster/zend-server/zend.key"
  action :add
end

package "zendserverce" do
  package_name "zend-server-ce-php-5.3"
end

On this whyrun breaks:

.
.
* Whyrun not supported for apt_repository[zend], bypassing load. (Skipped: whyrun not supported by provider Chef::Provider::AptRepository)
 (up to date)
.
.
 FATAL: Chef::Exceptions::Package: package[zendserverce] (bjtest::default line 20) had an error: Chef::Exceptions::Package: No version specified, and no candidate version available for zend-server-ce-php-5.3

I understand why this breaks, but is this intended or future work ?

package "htop" otherwise assumed to be installed correctly (only because the standard ubuntu apt-repo was already added
and whyrun can find the package via an apt package search) .

I think whyrun should do the same (except the apt package search) with packages that are in an apt-repo that isn't already added/activated.
(assume the apt-repo is correctly added and the package is in the repo and is able to install)

I have many cookbooks which add custom repo's and I think there are also many public cookbooks with custom repo's.
At the moment you can't test this cookbooks with whyrun.

--
Bjoern