[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef Server vs Chef Solo and MCollective

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef Server vs Chef Solo and MCollective
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:47:30 -0700

On 8/31/12 11:32 AM, Nguyen, Dang wrote:
Is the "--override-runlist" option temporary, meaning it's just for the current run only and the node's normal run list is reset back? I'm thinking that in the case when we have the chef-client running as a daemon, we'd have it on a "normal" run list and then use the --override-runlist option for a one-off chef run.

my understanding is that is correct. you need to be very careful about what happens with attributes during the chef run when you're doing this. there's magic that happens at the end of the run to fix things back up again and give you node data in the database which does not violate the principle of least surprise, but the node attributes you see inside the override run list run will have had all their default, automatic and override attributes wiped and you may get confusing solr search results back.