[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring chef runs

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring chef runs
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 16:15:22 -0700

On 9/6/12 1:20 PM, KC Braunschweig wrote:
- Another reason to keep chef running all the time is that you're less likely to fight with it. If it takes minimum 24 hours to push a change with chef (example above) and you need to do something faster (OMG prod is on fire!), you're not going to use chef, you're going to do something else (ssh for loop?). Maybe you'll remember to backport your change into chef. Maybe when you backport it into chef it'll actually come out compatible rather than just slightly not the same. Maybe not, and every time that fails everyone who doesn't know better blames chef for undoing their productive work. Now they're working against the tool instead of the tool making their lives better. KC
Or just:

knife ssh '*:*' sudo chef-client

To force a push in an emergency, or if you have changes that must be rolled out in a given window and can't be done lazily. I used lazy overnight config rollouts at one job, but at others I've had to fit all of the change within a given window; so while I've still used 24h cronjobs for periodic convergence, I've used knife ssh to kick off changes across the whole fleet at once.