[chef] chef on windows uses 100% CPU

  • From: " " < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] chef on windows uses 100% CPU
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:06:51 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently testing chef (chef-solo) on windows to convince the windows guys of chef.

But unfortunately a chef-solo run produces 100% CPU usage.

The whole execution time is not really important to me (at the moment 12 seconds with the "getting-started" cookbook),

but what's critical is that the chef/ruby process eats up the whole cpu and therefore blocks the whole system.

I've disabled a few ohai plugins, but that doesn't change everything. Also it's not an disk I/O - problem , it's pure CPU usage.

I've tried to limit the cpu usage of the chef/ruby process to 50% (with Windows System Resource Manager), but no luck.

Is there any possibility to limit the cpu usage of the ruby process so that a chef-run doesn't block the whole system ? (i can't convince the windows guys of
chef if chef(or ruby) is blocking the whole system ...)

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
1vCPU, 2GB RAM

Chef 10.14.2 (http://opscode.com/chef/install.msi)