[chef] Re: Re: How to know the developer name who ran the knife cmd?

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: How to know the developer name who ran the knife cmd?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 02:47:37 +0530

how you are launching the instances?
If you are using knife ec2 or similar plugins, you need to build the tooling using the corresponding IAM id the user is using to spawn the instance , this also assumes that you have unique IAM account for individual users. Then you need to correlate this from the instance creation time. You can do this either from the chef-server log (splunk can easily detect such patterns) or use the couch db api to grab the node's etag .

I cant think of any straight forward way to get this info.

I think questions like this is very important as they are a very basic need from asset management perspective. I am trying to develop something like this , but for me its easier as i dont we use unique key for every user and the exact user name and public key is shared across chef, aws keypair,

regards
ranjib