[chef] Best strategy for node location in Chef-solo - Synching chef-solo-search - Knife-solo - Vagrant - chef ?

  • From: Patrick Debois < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Best strategy for node location in Chef-solo - Synching chef-solo-search - Knife-solo - Vagrant - chef ?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:06:36 +0200

Hi,

Chef-solo-search[1] by @edelight has support for node search support by putting it in databags/nodes.

Knife-solo[2] by @matshaffer stores nodes not in databags/nodes but in the nodes directory at the top level

Vagrant has support for databags_path and role_path and auto shares in the guest if configured.
Chef-solo only has support for databag_path and role_path

I'm wondering if we can coordinate this? Some options I see:

  • introduce chef-solo node_path config parameter (has to be @opscode supported)
    • if yes we can patch vagrant, knife-solo and chef-solo-search, still lives the question for the default location
  • no specific config in chef-solo :
    • either keep it in databags/nodes
      • auto works with vagrant
      • knife-solo people have to adapt (or symlink) or look in an additional path
    • either keep it in nodes
      • chef-solo-search have to adapt (or symlink) or look in an additional path

Happy to supply patches, if we can have consensus on this.

Patrick

FYI - Recently I added role support to chef-solo-search ,
this opens up cookbooks that make of this possible on solo projects (like the nagios cookbook).

[1] - https://github.com/edelight/chef-solo-search
[2] - https://github.com/matschaffer/knife-solo/
[3] - https://github.com/jedi4ever/chef-solo-search