[chef] How do you use Chef for Release Management?

  • From: Farzad FARID < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How do you use Chef for Release Management?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 00:33:11 +0200

Hi,

The use of Chef, or similar software like Puppet or Cfengine, for Configuration Management is an undisputed choice (in my opinion of course!), but what about Release Management?

An IT facilities management company's architect tried to convince me that tools like Chef are not adequate from handling software releases & deployment (here I'm talking about Java/Tomcat applications) and that we should use their costly proprietary platform instead...

What is your opinion? Do you use Chef for Release Management, is it the perfect tool in this field too?

Regards

--
Farzad FARID / Architecte Open Source
Pragmatic Source / http://www.pragmatic-source.com