[chef] new nodes and known_hosts

  • From: "Leo Dirac (SR)" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] new nodes and known_hosts
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 17:36:13 -0700

I'm starting to use Google Compute Engine and repeatedly running into a problem with known_hosts.  GCE recycles public IP addresses pretty frequently, probably because its usage is still pretty low.  When this happens, SSH on my workstation gets concerned that the signature of the machine at that IP has changed -- it gives a nice warning if I try to connect directly, but from within Ruby it just throws a NetSSH exception without explanation.  Now I know I need to go edit ~/.ssh/known_hosts when this happens, but it's a gotcha.

This has to come up with other cloud providers too, but probably infrequently enough to not be a big deal.  It seems to the right thing to do would be to have knife go clear known_hosts for the specific IP when a new node is being created.  Conceptually I'd rather not have knife messing with my local security credentials, but in this case it seems like it really is the right thing to do.  Thoughts?