[chef] Re: Chef Orchestration

  • From: Peter Donald < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef Orchestration
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:25:14 +1100

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Mark Pimentel < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Just curious to know if anyone is using chef to do multi-node deployment orchestration.

If so, how are you conducting the orchestration?

What other non-chef tools are you using for the orchestration?

When we need to do a multi-node release we typically;
* flip the release flag wherever that may be (typically this means updating a data bag item with a new version)
* each release is broken into several stages, for each stage we
  - perform a search to return a list of nodes to converge
  - converge a batch of nodes from the list of nodes until there are none left to converge

if any converge fails we have a semi-adhoc process semi automated process of roll back and correct which usually just means reverting the data bag item and re running the release.

We currently drive this from jenkins and had planned to use rundeck but never quite got around to it.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald