[chef] search doesn't work on the chef server

  • From: Ran Tavory < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] search doesn't work on the chef server
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:31:35 +0200

Hi, I installed chef server using the following cloud formation configuration https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-templates-us-east-1/chef-server-ubuntu-configuration.template which I found linked to on the site http://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation/aws-cloudformation-templates/

This mostly worked out of the box, except for the search functionality, which simply always returns zero results.

Where should I dig to fixed it?

Here's what I did:
- tried searching for nodes, clients, rols, nothing brings up data (and I have from all these groups)
- verified that the following processes are running:  chef-server,  chef-server-webui, couchdb, rabbitmq, chef-solr, see https://gist.github.com/3945810
- looked at solr at http://chef:8983/solr/admin/stats.jsp and the stats show that there are zero indexed documents.

So I guess solr doesn't get the input. But now what? How do I debug this?

thanks!