[chef] Snowflake Metric?

  • From: Booker Bense < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Snowflake Metric?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:56:11 -0800

Has anyone ever implemented a metric where you count the number of unique configurations in your configuration management system?

For our old in-house system this is fairly simple to calculate, and the number was
688 unique configurations out of 3363 managed machines. And I know this number is low since our "options" file on which the metric is based vastly undercounts host specific changes.

Is there a simple way to get this kind of metric out of a Chef server?

- Booker C. Bense