[chef] Re: Re: RE: Best Practices for Retrieving Generated Passwords

  • From: Dane Elwell < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: RE: Best Practices for Retrieving Generated Passwords
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 18:12:06 +0000

On 2012-12-03 16:49, Andrea Campi wrote:

Another option I've used (if you have some means of authenticating the
client, e.g. own the network and can ensure IP addresses can't possibly
be spoofed):

Have the "in-house provisioning application" generate passwords and serve
a JSON (or other) file.
It's a rather simple matter to replace data bags uses with a method that
consumes JSON.
This usually ends up reducing duplication, and makes it easy to enforce
any kind of additional constraints you may have.

I will clean up and publish my consume_json cookbook if you are
interested.

Andrea

That would be quite interesting to see if you don't mind sharing? Replacing databags with that means I can invoke my requests directly to the other system rather than have that pull from the Chef server. I think this would be the best way of going about things for my intentions.

Thanks

Dane