[chef] Re: Cryptic error message on first run of deploy_branch

  • From: Cassiano Leal < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Cryptic error message on first run of deploy_branch
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:36:13 -0200

This error means that you tried to index (using method []) a Nil object. Usually it means that what you thought was going to return an Array or a Hash returned nil instead.

This:

    NoMethodError: deploy_branch[/var/admintool]

means that deploy_branch is nil, meaning that either:

- It is supposed to be nil; or
- It had not yet been set when it was called

On a side note, are you sure that deploy_branch is supposed to be a Hash, rather than, say, a method? And if so, is this Hash supposed to have a key '/var/admintool'? I'm just guessing about the semantics here since I'm not familiar with the rest of the cookbook.

Cheers,
--
Cassiano Leal