[chef] Re: AWS CloudFormation + Chef

  • From: Peter Norton < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: AWS CloudFormation + Chef
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:04:01 -0500

CloudFormation expects to control all of the resources that you launch with it, so what you're asking for is an ordering of events that it doesn't accommodate.

The specific workflow that you're talking about when you say "bootstrap the instance of an appropriate "Role" and, as the role dependency, launch the CloudFormation Stack (or a relevant part of it, say for security group or/and the keys )" is problematic anyway.  Specifically in AWS your ec2 instance is assigned to a group or list of groups when you request it's creation and before it is allocated.  The assigned group/groups can't be changed once the instance is launched.

-Peter