[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: moneta breaking all deployments

  • From: Peter Donald < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: moneta breaking all deployments
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:49:59 +1100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Erik Hollensbe < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Shortest answer: use bundler.

Long answer: repackage chef to include all its dependencies.

Both solutions are not trivial and frequently not worth it.

Alternative answer: Avoid using code in the same process.

i.e. We have hit this problem several times* and mostly this results in us removing the library from the chef run. Sometimes we write a little command line script/application/etc that will perform the computation we need or if it is reading data we have the script/application emit the results to standard out or a file. In the specific case of postgres we actually wrote a couple of LWRPs that used the CLI and released it as a cookbook [1]. All in all we have attempted to move as much of computation logic outside of the chef run.

* Another problem we hit was when different libraries monkey patched core files or polluted namespaces that caused strange interaction bugs.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald