[chef] Re: Re: overriding remote cookbooks with local copies

  • From: Kirill Timofeev < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Cc: Ranjib Dey < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: overriding remote cookbooks with local copies
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:09:00 -0800

Hi Ranjib,

thank you for your input, this approach seems reasonable, though it requires some efforts for versions support.

Thanks,
Kirill.

On 01/04/2013 03:59 PM, Ranjib Dey wrote:
" type="cite">
cookbook versions can address this. You can specify version of individual cookbooks in their metadata. You can enforce every environment to use a particular version (in absence of which, most upstream version will be picked up). You can specify cookbook versions in individual node's run list also.

In a typical cookbook development workflow you might consider having multiple chef environments, say dev, test and production. Dev environment wont have any cookbook version constrain, while in test you can freeze the latest stable versions once they are tested in dev, and finally production containing battle tested cookbooks in test environment.