[chef] Re: Re: Re: Chef Server installation - Oracle Enterprise Linux - quick question

  • From: mandi walls < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Chef Server installation - Oracle Enterprise Linux - quick question
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 01:35:54 -0500

Hi Z W,

It's late here, and I don't want to leave you hanging as I am going to bed, but if you're totally new to Chef and configuration management, you'll get a better idea of what Chef can really do for you by signing up for a free account on hosted chef [0] and hooking up a few hosts to it rather than spending time with the Chef Server if Chef ends up not meeting your needs. There's no charge, you don't have to put in a credit card, and any host that has outbound internet access can be added to your chef organization, whether in a public cloud or your own hardware.

The starter guides and other documentation are now at our new docs site [1].  The "Getting Started"  section in particular will give you an idea of what Chef does and how the components interact [2] and how to get your workstation configured and authorized to interact with the Chef server and your nodes [3].

Lots of people love tinkering with their own Chef Server, but there are a lot of components to it that don't really have anything to do with learning actual Chef. It's like trying to run a full blown mail server with antispam, blacklisting, and virus scanning when you've never sent an email before. :)

cheers,
--mandi

[0] http://www.opscode.com/hosted-chef/
[1] http://docs.opscode.com/