[chef] deploy_revision with asset pipeline compilation

  • From: Sachin Sagar Rai < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] deploy_revision with asset pipeline compilation
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 17:23:36 +0545

Ohai Chefs!

I've a situation with my rails app deployment.

This assets:precompile hook is taking a LONG TIME, almost 5mins just waiting, though the assets were not modified.

deploy_revision app['id'] do
  before_restart do
    # release_path is the path to the timestamp dir for the current release
    current_release = release_path
    # Create a local variable for the node so we'll have access to the attributes
    deploy_node = node
    # A local variable with the deploy resource.
    deploy_resource = new_resource
    Chef::Log.info "---- Release path is: #{current_release} ----"

    Chef::Log.info "*" * 20 + "COMPILING ASSETS" + "*" * 20
    execute "asset_precompile" do
      cwd release_path
      user app['owner']
      group app['group']
      command "bundle exec rake assets:precompile --trace"
      environment ({'RAILS_ENV' => rails_env})

There are gists available for capistrano recipe.
What I want is to add somekind of check and if repo is updated, do the compilation.
If not then just move/copy the earlier compiled assets without breaking the asset pipeline.

@millisami
~ Sachin Sagar Rai
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://tfm.com.np
http://nepalonrails.com
Sent with Sparrow

  • [chef] deploy_revision with asset pipeline compilation, Sachin Sagar Rai, 02/02/2013