[chef] Re: Re: application cookbook "annoyances"

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: application cookbook "annoyances"
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 06:54:25 +0100

Am 06.02.2013 03:41 schrieb "Joshua Timberman" < "> >:

> Ohai,
>
> On 2/5/13 7:25 AM, "Torben Knerr" < "> > wrote:
>

> >1) some cookbooks rely on roles, e.g. nagios::client or munin::client
> >find their server counterpart using a search for `role:monitoring`
> >
> >I'm thinking of keeping the roles as "marker roles" which act like tags
> >basically and keep backwards compatibility for cookbooks using role-based
> >searches.
> >
> >How do you handle this?
>
> One thing we've talked about in the past is having the role set as an
> attribute. The nagios cookbook currently allows this. IMO this is a great
> use case for roles anyway, and one of their purposes.

The nagios cookbook allows to set role to search for in the search query (default is "monitoring"), but it doesn't set the role of the node, does it?

If so, I wouldn't have to keep around marker roles as .rb files but would set the node's role in the application cookbook instead.

> An argument could be made that the search should be for a node with the
> appropriate recipe applied, but only recipes in the expanded run list (not
> those from 'include_recipe' in another recipe)...

Agree, but this having the problems described in 2) below...

I believe that there are valid use cases for both searches, so we'd ideally find a way to handle both.

> >2) some cookbooks search for recipes in the runlist, e.g.
> >apt::cacher-client searches for servers with `recipe:apt\:\:cacher-ng`
> >
> >Now that the only item in my run_list is `my-app-cookbook` and the
> >`apt::cacher-ng` is `include_recipe`d it can not be found anymore via
> >that search.
> >
> >How do you handle such cases?
> >
> >I believe there are a lot more recipes using these kinds of searches
> >which would break when following the application cookbook pattern.
> >
> >I could live with "marker roles" to make these cookbooks happy, but for
> >the cookbook searches I have no clue.
> >
> >Is it true that with Chef 11 `include_recipe`d recipes show up in the
> >expanded run_list? Can you search for them using
> >`recipe:apt\:\:cacher-ng` for example?
>
> They do not get appended to the "recipes" attribute. That has also been
> discussed in the past:
>
> * http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-1977

That's currently the dealbreaker for me. I added a comment and upvoted the ticket.

In the meantime, is there any viable workaround other than patching the cookbooks that use search 'recipe:...'?

E.g. would it be possible to set the "recipes" attribute from within the application cookbook and would that be indexed for search then?