[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Role Versioning?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Role Versioning?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 06:56:03 +0100

Am 15.02.2013 00:24 schrieb "Peter Donald" < "> >:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Michael Glenney < "> > wrote:
> > We don't use any community cookbooks so it hasn't been an issue for us yet.
> > Maybe I should be careful about throwing that out there.  Though I'm
> > surprised to hear there isn't a way to see all cookbooks that are applied to
> > a node unless they're in the run list.  That would mean you can't see any if
> > the dependency cookbooks unless they're explicitly listed as well.  Sounds
> > like a gap or opscode trying to force a "best practice".
>
> It is a gap IMHO. We have the following snippet in a cookbook that
> records the final expanded set of recipes executed. We then have a
> whole suite of custom scripts that mine this data at a later time.
>
> ruby_block "get_seen_recipes" do
>   block do
>     node.override["knife_audit"]["seen_recipes"] = node.run_state[:seen_recipes]
>   end
>   action :create
> end

I would even go that far and state that using search "recipe:*" is an antipattern and should not be used in community cookbooks (due to the include_recipe flaws).

Thanks for the pointer to knife-audit ( https://github.com/jbz/knife-audit ) btw, looks like a nice add-on that will be added soon to my standard knife plugins ;-)