[chef] Re: Checking for the existance of a package

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Checking for the existance of a package
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:26:33 -0800

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson wrote:

Hello,

I'm new with Chef(and ruby), please excuse me if I'm just being thick.

I'm using the windows_feature provider from the windows cookbook to
install roles on a Windows 2012 server.
On W2012 however, you cannot install .Net framework 3.5 without
providing some installation sources.
So far, I work around that by using remote_directory and by shelling
out to cmd, something like:
I'd like to skip the remote_directory copy when the feature has been
installed, however, so my question is:

Is there no way to simply check if some feature/package is installed?
The provider implements the method 'installed?'. Can I not call it
somehow from my recipes?
I'm not very familiar with the Windows stuff, but it seems like you should be able to get the desired behavior with either `not_if` (and `only_if`) or notifications. Those are documented at the top of this page:

http://docs.opscode.com/chef/resources.html

Thanks alot!

regards,
Sölvi Páll Á.