[chef] RE: Augeas support

  • From: Kevin Keane Subscription < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Augeas support
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:11:21 -0800

As a matter of fact, both of your suggestions are exactly how I deal with this situation. I find it less than ideal. Foregoing community cookbooks means not leveraging one of the strengths of chef. And having to have a different cookbook for each major language version is exactly the problem I was referring to.

I hear you on the idempotency issue. It’s a lot more difficult to get idempotency with a file-editing approach. In a way, though, it may be a penny-wise, pound-foolish approach. Maybe it is better in the long run to implement idempotency for file edits, if it reduces the cookbook maintenance by such a large amount.