[chef] Re: Where to put the node.json in the chef-repo for chef-solo

  • From: Patrick Mulder < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Where to put the node.json in the chef-repo for chef-solo
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:48:14 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM, howard chen < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Seem the default repo on github didn't take care of storing the node.json in the repository.

What folder should I put my node.json?

(I think this file should also be maintained in the repo, right?)

Yes, I think with chef-solo, the node.json is part of your repo.

 It may contain the configuration of your cookbooks and  the run_list. However, there are different use-cases.

If you work with Vagrant, you might put part of your node.json directly into your Vagrantfile too (that is part of your repo too).

If you invoke chef-solo from your host directly, see some interesting discussion here:  http://serverfault.com/questions/126298/idiomatic-way-to-invoke-chef-solo