[chef] Package resource action :purge does nothing when package is not installed

  • From: Cassiano Leal < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Package resource action :purge does nothing when package is not installed
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:33:28 -0300

The subject says it all :)

I've got a recipe that purge a package, but I noticed that if the package is not installed, :purge doesn't do anything, potentially leaving configuration files behind.

In my specific use case, I have uninstalled the package manually, so I have it in the "c" state on the apt system -- this is on Ubuntu 12.04. I would have expected :purge to actually purge the package.

Is the current behaviour expected, is it a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
- cassiano