[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Berkshelf Frustrations, or, Am I Just Doing It Wrong?

  • From: Brian Akins < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Berkshelf Frustrations, or, Am I Just Doing It Wrong?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:42:09 -0400

In the actual chef orgs, it really just a convenience for downloading cookbooks from our cookbook org and uploading them to a particular chef server/org. We could just write a tool to do this, I suppose, but we already use berkshelf with Vagrant for testing, etc already. When building/updating out TLC's we can use berkshelf to generate the list of exact versions we depend on.  If Berksfile.lock worked as intended, then we wouldn't have to do this I suppose.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, nick hatch < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Maybe I'm just being dense -- but what value does Berkshelf provide if you explicitly pin versions in this manner?

-n