[chef] Re: [chef-dev] Re: Mixlib::Versioning 1.0.0 released

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: Mike < >
  • Cc: Seth Chisamore < >, " " < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: [chef-dev] Re: Mixlib::Versioning 1.0.0 released
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:28:45 -0700

Chef 10.x won't be getting any new features, and there'd have to be an erlang version of the library to get support in the chef 11 server.

Honestly, though, I'd much rather remove dependency solving from the server entirely. If we radically simplify environments to support only exact cookbook versions dependencies then its relatively straightforward to add versioning of roles to environments, which would solve a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

In this scenario, you'd still have x.y.z (+ etc) version numbers, but they'd be used for communication between developers (the "semantic" part of semver) and by tools such as berkshelf and librarian when resolving dependencies. Since the server wouldn't use the version numbers, we could relax the restrictions on them to support all the prerelease stuff without adding complexity to the dependency solver algorithm.

--
Daniel DeLeo