[chef] Injecting a resource into another cookbook's recipe

  • From: Kevin Nuckolls < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Injecting a resource into another cookbook's recipe
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:07:17 -0500

Since it's ruby, I assume it's possible to have a resource run within another scope as defined at runtime. I basically ran into a situation where I defined a variable that I used to inject information in a template in a library cookbook, then found that I also wanted access to that variable from the wrapper cookbook.

I could probably put it in a library, but at this point I'm just curious if anyone has done this. Can you run a resource in another cookbook's recipe if you even wanted to?

Not saying this is the correct way to do it, just curious if it's actually possible.

-Kevin