[chef] Re: Re: Chef 11 in production

  • From: "steve ." < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef 11 in production
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:45:07 -0700

We haven't formally discussed this at work, but I think our upgrade plan will look something like this:

Once we get our mitts on the equivalent Private Chef version and install it in testing, we'll get people to test their cookbooks off the test endpoint.  (We're looking forward to it, though -- knife-lastrun bombed out our older Chef 10.x server through some bizarre bug that had nodes running many node.save()s per Chef run and freaked out Solr.  We're hoping this goes away once the back-end switches to Postgres -- knife-lastrun's nice to have, IMO.)  With the new version on our test endpoint, we can run our repos through our test framework until they all turn green again.  Then we'll know we're ready to roll it out to our thousands of production nodes..

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Bryan McLellan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM,  < "> > wrote:
> I am new in a Chef's community. Does anyone use already Chef 11.x in
> production? Is it stable for production?

Yes.

Cycle Computing was an early adopter of Chef 11:
http://www.opscode.com/case-studies/opscode-case-study-cycle-computing.pdf

As well as Facebook:
http://www.opscode.com/press-releases/facebook-likes-opscode-and-private-chef/

And those were a couple of months ago. As John noted, it is in
production all over the place now.

Bryan