[chef] Re: Windows service install/uninstall resource

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Windows service install/uninstall resource
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:07:31 -0700

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Peter Loron wrote:

Howdy! While working on cookbooks for $WORK, I have had the need to install and uninstall Windows services. The existing Service resource provides the ability to start, stop, etc services that already exist, but not to remove and install them.

I wrote a very simple LWRP to handle these tasks. I would like to contribute this back to the community, but am not sure where the best spot would be.

I could offer them as a patch to the existing service resource, but there are no corresponding install/uninstall actions for linux, etc.

Maybe a patch to the Windows cookbook? I know some of the stuff in there is being brought into the Chef core.

Suggestions?
This came up in a Chef code review session, and we agreed that the service resource in chef is the right place to add this code. There is an existing patch referenced in the ticket, you could maybe move that code into chef and add tests.

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3865

Thanks!

-Pete
HTH,