[chef] Re: Re: Re: Ohai netwrk interface cache.

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Ohai netwrk interface cache.
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:36:16 -0700

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Hamza Khan-Cheema wrote:

Hi

I am not making the changes within chef they have been done outside chef.   Thanks for the debug info.  Although it has not helped me out.

If I explain the exact steps, I am taking,  it might make things easier :)

1) The network names have been changed by editing the ifcfg-NAME files. A network name routes specific file has also been added for all new interfaces.  The OS is Red Hat Enterprise 5

2) An ifconfig lists the updated names and IP addresses.

3) Running ohai on the server I can see the new network card name in the network json object. (network[:interfaces])

4) In my chef recipe I am going through each node, except the logserver, pseudo code below:

servers = search (:node , "(NOT role:logserver)")
servers.each do |server|

  puts server['network']['interfaces'].keys
  # Code here that fails as it can't find the network name in the above hash.
end

5) I am expecting to see printed out above the exception the network names which ifconfig and the ohai command line app are reporting.  However I am seeing the original eth0, eth1 names.

If ohai does not cache any information, what else could be going on?  I have restarted chef-server, but that had no effect.

Short answer: re-run chef-client on each host after you update the network config.

The data you see in search is saved by individual chef clients at the conclusion of each chef run. Running chef-client on a regular basis will keep this info more up-to-date, but in general chef doesn't have any mechanism for knowing when a change made outside of chef requires an update to the node data.

You can see what's currently on your chef server with `knife node show` and `knife search` (check the `-m`, `-l`, and `-a` options, as these normally only show summaries to avoid deluging you with data).

--
Daniel DeLeo