[chef] Managing a chef repository with multiple engineers

  • From: John Alberts < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Managing a chef repository with multiple engineers
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:09:47 -0500

I'm wondering if anyone has come across any blog posts or anything regarding best practices with managing the cookbooks in a chef repository when you have multiple engineers working with the repository at the same time?
Currently, I'm basically using the git-flow approach; however, I find it cumbersome to merge multiple feature branches together for different cookbooks (and sometimes the same cookbook), make sure there is an appropriate version bump in each affected cookbook, updated changelog files in each cookbook, and determine what actually changed so that I can upload the changed cookbooks, roles, data bags to the server.
I'm just wondering what other folks are doing.

John