[chef] Re: Re: Re: Upgrade Chef

  • From: "steve ." < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Upgrade Chef
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:30:50 -0700

I've been in this situation before (and, WRT Chef 11, I'm in the middle of this now).  I'd suggest the following:

* Upgrade the Chef clients to omnibus 10.18.x or higher at your earliest convenience.  You'll start to get the warns and things from your Chef runs to alert you of what will probably break if you upgraded all the way to 11.x here.  You'll probably be able to jump into omnibus smoothly in one Chef run unless you installed a lot of custom gems to get your cookbooks to work, in which case you should leverage chef_gem to do that for you ... now that you have it.  :)  (we went from 0.10.4 to omnibus 10.18.x, that was a barrel of laughs...)
* Upgrading chef-server is a totally separate thing from updating the client.  Data migration using knife-backup's a must.  I think it's easier for OSS Chef installs because you don't have to worry about copying over the access controls on every object.  I went from an OSS Chef 0.10.4 server to a Private Chef server and there were a couple extra things to consider.
* If the server migration turns out to be a bigger bear than you thought, just remember that clients should be able to talk to old servers.  You can at least maintain one codebase for your recipes by migrating your clients to the same version...