[chef] Recovery of encrypted data bags

  • From: Dorian Jaminais < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Recovery of encrypted data bags
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 12:03:43 +0200

Hi,

I am using chef open source server. I have a question about backups and recovery.
All cookbooks, environments, roles and data bags are backed up as part of the git repository.
My question is about encrypted data bags, that are backed up in their encrypted form.

Is there a way to recover the real informations (eg. passwords) in case of a failure of the chef server ? (providing that I still have the secret file used at encryption time.)

Sincerely

--
Dorian JAMINAIS
System Administrator